Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Making a Golden Snitch

Our chapter of Sigma Tau Delta is having a penny wars race to see which book will be selected for our annual marathon reading event. As a result, I nominated Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and decided to create a golden snitch out of papier-mache hoping to entice people to vote for Harry Potter! I wanted to keep the golden snitch as authentic to the novels as possible, but it was sort of difficult with my limited crafting abilities. In case you ever want to create your own golden snitch, these are the steps I used:

1. Buy a plastic bowl for the base. The reason I use a bowl on the bottom is for stability.
2. Blow up a balloon and place the balloon in the bowl.
3. In another bowl, combine 2 parts water for 1 part flour. Mix.
4. Dip strips of newspaper in the water/flour mixture and cover the balloon and bowl.
5. Let dry in between layers.
6. Once there are enough layers and the papier-mache has dried, paint the snitch gold!


The end result:

And of course, further enticing people to vote for Harry Potter, I placed a sheet of paper in front of the snitch with a quote from Deathly Hallows: "I open at the close." Below is a picture of me with my golden snitch!

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment